Tasmania is a land of astonishing landscapes and deep wilderness. Unlike anywhere else in the world, Australia’s southernmost state deserves to top your travel wish list, repeatedly.
Do you plan to explore Tasmania at your own pace, then we have you covered?
Premier Travel Tasmania has the perfect self-drive package for your ready. As a small family-owned tour operator based in Tasmania, we love to showcase and share our backyard with our guests. Our Tasmanian self-drives include a full-service package including car-hire, pre-booked accommodation, activities, and National Park passes.
Pick up your hire car and start your road trip with a short drive to the accommodation of your choice. Most itineraries start either from Hobart or Launceston. Upon arrival at your accommodation, find a comprehensive welcome package containing a printed itinerary, roadmap, National Parks pass and brochures ready for you at the reception.
If you decide to drive your own car, we can help you find the best available rate on the Spirit and plan your itinerary from Devonport.
A Tasmanian road trip lasts typically from 3 up to 21 days. We suggest spending at least a week in Tasmania. However, if you are short on time and just after a quick getaway, our 3 or 5-day itineraries may be the right choice for you. Otherwise, check out our 9 up to 21-day Tasmanian itineraries for inspiration. Based on your personal interests, we will create a unique self-drive experience for you.
Tasmania has so much to offer, and it’s sheer impossible to list all the sights you can explore on a Tassie road trip. Find a few examples what our itineraries in Tasmania include:
- Explore the city of Hobart with Battery Point and Salamanca.
- Spend a morning at the colourful Salamanca Markets.
- Ascend Mount Wellington.
- Visit the Tasman Peninsula with Port Arthur.
- Head to the Triabunna and cross over to Maria Island.
- Spend a few days around Coles Bay and visit the stunning Wineglass Bay in the Freycinet National Park.
- Stop by the sunny east coast at Binalong Bay and St Helens.
- Call into Launceston and take a walk in the Cataract Gorge.
- Check into the UNESCO world-heritage listed Cradle Mountain National Park.
- Visit the rugged west coast with the mining towns of Zeehan and the seaside village of Strahan.
- Do some bushwalks in the Franklin-Gordon Wild River National Park and at Lake St Clair, Australia’s deepest freshwater mountain lake.
- Crane your neck for some of the tallest trees at Mount Field National Park.
- Try some cheese on a trip to Bruny Island.
We also offer campervan hire deals which creates a unique holiday starting from Hobart. Explore the less-known highlights on a multi-day Tasmania road trip around the island with your own home on wheels.
A suggested itinerary could look like this:
- On Day 1 – pick up your campervan and drive from Hobart to Freycinet.
- Day 2 – experience the award-winning Wineglass Bay cruise.
- Day 3 – travel via Bicheno and St Helens, spend a night at Binalong Bay, and discover the orange lichen-covered granite rocks at the Bay of Fires.
- On Day 4 – have a coffee at Pyengana and see the lavender fields at Bridestowe.
- Day 5 – enjoy some world-class cool-climate wines in the Tamar Valley.
- On Day 6 – explore the wild Bass Strait coast and the towns of Devonport, Burnie, Wynyard and Stanley.
- Day 7 – get towards Cradle Mountain.
- On Day 8 – enjoy a full day hiking around Cradle Mountain.
- Day 9 – continue to the west coast via Queenstown.
- On Day 10 – embark on the Gordon River Cruise from Strahan.
- Day 11 – travel via Derwent Bridge and Tarraleah into Hobart.
- On Day 12 – explore the Tasman Peninsula and stop at Dunalley and Eaglehawk Neck for lunch.
- Day 13 – enjoy a self-guided walk on the Tasman Peninsula.
- Day 14 – say good bay to Tassie and return your campervan.
The current itineraries to choose from are:
3-day Weekend Getaway from Hobart
5-day Western Wilderness Explorer from Launceston via Cradle Mountain, Zeehan and Strahan to Hobart
6-day Tasmania road-trip from Hobart to Launceston via Port Arthur, Freycinet National Park, Cradle Mountain and a meeting with the Devil
9-day Glamping Tasmania road trip from Hobart via the Peninsula and Port Arthur, the sunny east coast, the Tamar Valley and Cradle Mountain.
10-day Island Discovery holiday package clockwise from Hobart via Lake St Clair, Strahan, Cradle Mountain, Launceston, Freycinet and Port Arthur
17-days Best of Tassie road-trip around Tasmania for those who want to see it all and dive deep into the remoteness of Tasmania, including the Gordon River Cruise, National Parks such as Cradle Mountain and Freycinet. 2 nights at the Freycinet Lodge in Coles Bay and a visit to the wildlife paradise of Maria Island.
Tasmania has everything to create unforgettable memories. There is excellent accommodation, an abundance of wildlife and divine food.
Ask the team of Premier Travel Tasmania for a tailor-made itinerary and quote for your next Tassie self-drive holiday.